Page School

Maleah Upah, Writer

Politics are affecting our lives every day and it is amazing to witness the legislative process and watch little bills that could make a huge difference be passed. Just to see the Senate or the House of Representatives floor in action is a huge opportunity. If that is something you are interested in there is an amazing chance to become either a senate or house page. As senate/house page you get to work with senators/representatives, meet many people who work in the legislative process, learn where almost everything on capitol campus is, and so much more. As a page you are permitted to be on the floor with all the important people.

You also attend a page school, two hours out of the ten hours you will be working each day. In page school you learn all sorts of things about the legislative process (such as important vocabulary, the path of legislation, how a bill works, etc.). You also have the opportunity to write a bill of your own and then participate in a mock hearing committee, where you will defend your bill and vote on other bills. The legislative process is very complex and detailed. Part of being a house page is working on the floor of representatives, delivering notes from lobbyist, and passing out amendments, as you are doing, you get to watch the representatives at work.

Each bill that comes to the floor is perfectly choreographed; for the most part everyone already knows what he or she is going to vote and what he or she is going to say on behalf of the bill. They can pass or fail a bill in a matter of 5 minutes. The speaker or the one who presides over the floor knows exactly what to say to say to the clerk (who reads the bill) and who to call on to defend or argue against the bill. That is just the house floor; there are so many other working parts of the capitol that you as a page get to assist in. You get to meet your representative or senator as well as help in the gift shop, or anywhere a page is needed. Even pages play an important role on capitol campus.

The process of legislation is so complex and intricate, that it can be almost impossible to understand from the outside, that’s why this is such an amazing opportunity. As sophomore at North Mason Senior High School Grace Martin puts it “Paging gives you the opportunity to grow and experience new things while building friendships that will last for years to come.” Paging at the capitol campus is one full week (plus an orientation) you get paid 35 dollars a day and get a wonderful experience. Fill out an application now!

• Page School

Sports

Bye, Bye Beattie

• Page School

Student Life

The Snow Stops OHS

• Page School

Politics

Wa State Sues Trump

• Page School

News

Code 420: High School Drug Testing

• Page School

Student Life

Vaping at OHS?

• Page School

Student Life

Black History Month

• Page School

News

2016 Memorial

• Page School

Politics

The Election

• Page School

Sports

Bears Football on a traditional season

• Page School

Top Stories

There’s No Debate Here, Forensics is Beneficial to Everyone

Page School