Music Festival Fun

Astrid Hoover-Batt, Staff Writer

“I just wanna see Kendrick” says Senior Alison Wyckoff. Sasquatch–the four day music festival that takes place a few hours away at the famous plot of land The Gorge. Tickets went on sale February 7th at 10am and the mad dash to get a spot didn’t come a second after.
Some big names at this year’s musically laced camping event are Kendrick Lamar, Lana Del Rae, Modest Mouse, The Decemberists, James Blake, and so many more.
For many, the basic routine of the event goes like this: You get five of your closest friends and you drive up together. Then, with your reserved campsite ticket you pitch tents and set up your life for the next four days. There are showers that don’t cost more than a few dollars, but besides that, you are off the grid. In that respect, people seem to like it because it’s an experience that can take you out of your own life for a little while and into a life that is primitive, relaxing, and where you only have one job–listening to music.
In terms of high school, it’s kind of a “senior thing.” A big spring shabang before graduation hits us. Senior Annika Vaughn says, “I really just wanted to go this year because I have time and I wanna do one last thing with my Senior friends.” It’s also the weekend after Prom so you don’t have to worry about being sun burnt and malnourished for those precious Prom pics.
If you’re still wondering if you should pay the $350 it costs for this experience, there are a lot of things that many feel make it worth the money. The thing is, Sasqautch is an “experience.” It’s not a thing. Not clothes or food or electronics–an experience. For your money, a wristband gets you through the gates and there’s nothing that can replace something like a music festival with so much heart and soul. And there’s nothing like spending some quality time with people that you may not see as frequently after high school. This is our time. Use it.