Bullying, Kids Being Kids or Something More?

Mikaela Lowry

Mikaela Lowry, Writer

Bullying has become a major issue for most people around the world. Bullying is defined as the activity of repeated aggressive behavior intended to hurt another person or an individual behaving in a certain way to gain power over another person.

Katy Carlock, former student at OHS, has been a victim of bullying since elementary school. Carlock’s definition of bullying includes being treated differently, being insulted, and being considered an outcast throughout the student body. An experience that she has had to face was being judged a lot. Her experiences with bullying have her and caused her to fell unwanted. Carlock says, “If one person thinks one thing, how does everyone else?”

Being bullied has changed her. She always feels like she’s in the way and a burden to others. Carlock then says, “Why be a burden to everyone? I will just stay out of the way.” She wants to tell others, that have been bullied, that they are not alone and to not take those things to heart. Carlock has never been a bully because of her experiences and has made it clear that she will never be.

Bullying is serious. It doesn’t just hurt people mentally; it leads to very serious matters, such as the suicide of Amanda Todd. Todd was a 15-year-old Canadian teenager who was bullied through the social network of Facebook. About a month before committing suicide, Todd posted a video on YouTube using a series of flash cards to tell her experience of being blackmailed, bullied, and physically assaulted. In it she mentions sending an image to a man who later circulated it around the Internet.

Everyday thousands of teens wake up afraid to go to school. Bullying isn’t just a minor issue, it affects million of people and has everyone worried. People are bullied because of appearance and social status. Bullying can go on for as long as people let it.

Telling others before the situation gets worse will have a better result.  It is obvious that bullying happens here at our school, and kids don’t exactly know what to do if they see it. The best thing that could happen is to tell an adult near the situation to get it resolved. The bullied must tell others to get it to stop.