Cruising to Failure?

Becky Moeckel, Writer

It doesn’t matter which grade you’re in right now, we’ve all been through the mandatory process called Career Cruising. Career Cruising takes you out of one of your classes a few times a year, then has you take some surveys which reveal your interests, skills, preferences, and aspirations. These results will then match you to a list of jobs that most likely would suit you, making the scary task of deciding what you want to do for a living an easier one. Plus, it gives students no excuse to say, “I don’t know what I want to do after high school,” to your parent’s and counselor’s relief.   Seems like a happy medium, right? According to Oly High students, this is not the case. This reporter talked to several Oly students, and found that none of them had positive feelings, with comments like it being a waste of time to not helpful whatsoever.

First, I asked the students in my classes if they thought Career Cruising was helpful. Senior Collin Doster, answered, “No, because it doesn’t provide useful enough information for the time it takes up. You can get so much more helpful information in less time at other places.” Senior Angel Reyes agreed, saying, “It’s not helpful because I don’t want half of the jobs they suggest.”

Despite the claims that this program will help you explore your career and college options, all while creating a plan along the way, students haven’t seemed to grasp the impact that this opportunity has. If the program is indeed valuable, then neither the teachers nor the counselors have been able to convince us of that. If we have been shown evidence, it hasn’t made an impression.

Then, I asked if Career Cruising has helped anyone find their interest career-wise, and if not, what way did they use to find their interest. Junior Zaiden Hernandez answered, “I found out my interest by watching my family and people that do what I want to do.” In fact, most of the people’s answers were along these lines. Most students at Oly seem to already have something they want to do in mind already from family members or simply observing people they admire. This may be because we feel that watching our family members and people we admire definitely has a greater influence on what we want to do in life than sitting at a computer desk and taking quizzes.

Finally, the last question was if students think Career Cruising should be mandatory like it is now. For once, there was a mixed reaction. Senior Alex Yonker thought, “Yes, because you never know if it will be helpful to people.” This contradicted another student that said, “No, for people who know what they’re interested in already, it is a waste of time.” Regardless, the way Carreer Cruising is playing out now doesn’t seem to be making students more willing to accept it. Maybe its because we are “required” to do it and every time seems like the same presentation; in this it just does not feel like an “opportunity.”

All in all, this program is controversial among students. Most feel that it is tedious and don’t like the fact that they have to do it.   However, it is a good opportunity, considering it is a wake up call for people that haven’t realized that they are soon leaving mandatory school and need to think about their future soon. Most students say the program would be good for people who do not know what they want to do already, but each respondent felt this did not apply to them.