Random Acts of Kindness Club

Ben Pitney, Reporter

There’s a new club in town here at OHS and It’s silently making waves of good that (hopefully) will domino into a more friendly environment here in our school community. This new club is called the Random Acts of Kindness Club. Created by Monica and Christina Tsien, this new club just recently got approved and its main objective is, as you may have guessed, to pass around and promote our culture of ‘Oly love’ by committing its members to performing random acts kindness.

Again the club has just recently started, and they haven’t been able to get off the ground just yet. They’re still in the planning period but one thing they hope to incorporate into their club is to set up “…an anonymous email and if people see their friends having a rough day or something they can email and give their friends name and their first period and we’ll make something like a craft or a little treat and we’ll drop it off in their first period for them.” says Monica Tsien, Club Co-founder.

The club will start having meetings soon and will for sure be active in our school. In an interview with Monica Tsien, she says that “Inspiration for this is like from little moments of kindness in the hall like you see someone and they’re just walking along and they reach out to you to say hi… that always makes your day and it’s like the little things that matter and help make someone’s day.”. This shows how Monica and Co-founder Christina Tsien have a love of our school and what we stand for at OHS. The sole reason for this club is to boost kindness here at school and create a communal support system between students. This is the best example of Oly Love I’ve seen at OHS in a while, and Creating a positive, connected school environment can do nothing but good for everyone here. As Stanford University puts it, “The importance of student happiness cannot be underestimated as a determining factor in academic performance…”.

Improving general school moral and relieving stress to others whenever possible is a good start in improving our school community. Also, who doesn’t like being happier? As you go through highschool you’ll find that none of this gets easier, stress builds and classes get difficult, maintaining a positive attitude is hard even with a good support system. The Atlantic reports “that 49 percent of students reported feeling ‘a great deal of stress’ on a daily basis. Half reported doing three or more hours of homework per night, and 26 percent noted that they had been diagnosed with depression—over four times the national average of 6 percent.”.

Improving emotional support for students as we deal with varying workloads and just life in general will improve our school performance and community.

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Opinion

Senior Wake-up Call

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Features

Things to do for Winter Break

• Features

Fall Play

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Features

Where to Trick or Treat

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Features

Scary Movie Guide

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Features

Homecoming

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Features

Costumes at OHS

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

Features

Paranormal Activity

• Features

Improvements at OHS

• Random Acts of Kindness Club

News

Climate Change

Random Acts of Kindness Club