Climate Change and Food

Ben Pitney, Reporter

Imagine if you will, you wake up early for school, you walk downstairs to your keurig to brew  some pike place medium roast, but you can’t find any, in fact, there isn’t even any blonde roast left either! Well todays already going be rough, you give up on coffee and move to your breakfast. Your favorite morning fruit, bananas are all gone. You are sad, and you can just tell that today isn’t your day. But just when you’re about to give up on the day and ask mom if you can take a mental health day, you think of something that never fails to pick you up when you’re feeling down, Chocolate. You go to your pantry and find that big bag of M&Ms to be completely empty. All hope is lost and now you just have to stay home because today is the worst day ever.

This dystopian future could be on its way, climate change is and is projected to have significant negative impact of the ability of three plants that are very important to us to grow. These three plants being arabica coffee (the good kind of coffee), cavendish bananas and cacao.  This is mainly because of three things, disease, environmental destruction due to climate change, and extreme weather also due to climate change. Countries that are exporting these products are suffering, droughts in Brazil and South Africa, and flooding in Vietnam has claimed many lives over the last years and has failed to get the attention of our government’s stance on climate change. With these huge businesses of food products being threatened, the United States’ (currently) less active stace may need to change if global warming becomes worse for business.

Nevermind the humanitarian crisis of the humans who actually grow our products earning less than the price of a cappuccino a day.

The lack of biodiversity and the overuse and inability to restore nutrients of farmland causes popular crops to become more susceptible for damage. America’s addiction to coffee could be coming to an abrupt end as growth inhibiting factors begin to close in on the product. Senior Nico Jansen says “I love coffee, everyday I have to have it. If we can save coffee we should do anything we can to do it.” Significant environmental damage has been going on for years and only seems to be accelerating, unless the U.S. government takes action, and other powerful countries follow suit, the trend will continue and more and more of our earth will deteriorate into wastelands like the nutrient free drought land of Southern America and Southern Africa.  

A lot of our earth’s future is dependent on how we act right now, failure to change the way the world sees climate change, could have harsh and irreversible effects on not only nature that surrounds us, but the quality of lives that we lead. This process has already started and examples can be seen all over the globe. Progress and change is always hard for us humans, but when it becomes necessary, we must think of the bigger picture.

• Climate Change and Food

A&E

Academic Decathlon

• Climate Change and Food

Features

Eating Disorders

• Climate Change and Food

Features

Midterms

• Climate Change and Food

Features

Healthcare

• Climate Change and Food

Features

Halloween

• Climate Change and Food

A&E

Homecoming

• Features

The Olyway Show

• Climate Change and Food

Features

Glass Studio

• Climate Change and Food

Features

Olympia Brewery

• Features

Cascadia

Climate Change and Food