The Difficulty with School Schedules

Cody Seales

Cody Seales, Writer

There is a lot of work that goes into the production of the class schedule, and many students blame the counselors for their schedule being messed up or disorganized. There are too many factors that go into the production of the schedule for it to only be the counselors fault. In fact, most of the time it’s the students fault for not being clear on the classes they desire.

The master schedule starts to take shape a little before winter break when the course selection sheets are handed out and the teachers begin to advise students on what courses to take. The schedule choices are finalized right after the Student Led Conferences when the student goes to a designated computer lab and the classes themselves. All possible classes and alternative classes are established by the student. The choices are compiled and eventually developed into a schedule that meets the requirements of the student.

The problems began with the priority of certain students over others and what classes the school is going to fund with its limited budget. Certain classes that are not absolutely necessary for graduation are cut. If a student requests to be put into Algebra 2 when the class is almost full, and there are other students that need to class to graduate, the student that requested it is held at a lower priority. The same idea applies to the classes that students don’t need to graduate. Science, English, and math classes are higher priority than foreign language or art classes. And all these factors, the budget, the student choices and priority, all have to be factored in. And all before the schedule changes are requested. Also, there is a massive amount of incoming freshmen.

There are now, according to Mr. Wentz “32-34 per class.” Teachers are swamped with students. There is so much for counselors to think about budget and students mass wise. It is a difficult job to organize 1,800 students into a schedule that pleases everyone. Although the schedules don’t work out perfectly, the counselors are working hard to assure the students that their graduation schedules will work out.