Hall of Fame Campaigning Catastrophe

Hall of Fame Campaigning Catastrophe

Senior Nic Tebeau fills out the yearbook's Hall of Fame voting sheet.

Haley Sund, Staff Writer

“Guys, everyone vote me best hair!”  What legacy will you leave behind? Are you the best dressed, most adventurous, or perhaps the most likely to succeed? This year the number of people jumping up and down yelling, “Pick me!” was astounding.  Since when did the senior hall of fame voting require campaign speeches?  The yearbook hall of fame is intended to commemorate people on what they are the best at in their senior class, not who could scream they want to be picked the loudest.  Just like Marc Antony and Marcus Brutus shouting in the streets trying to sway the crowd’s approval, students in the senior class were trying to capture the vote of their peers in less than subtle ways.  The hall of fame has turned into more of a group consensus on who to like best rather than each individual’s personal opinion.

Senior Mitchy Yourston said he heard, “a lot of people [that] were discussing who to pick as a group, not individually, so it wasn’t their [individual] opinions.”  When coming up with who you think best fit for each category it is reasonable to ask friends for their opinions when you are unsure, but to consult a group for every name defeats the point.  During the voting period of three days, all everyone’s lunch discussions and classroom distractions were related to voting.  Many of the campaigners would go about even looking at people’s papers to see if they were being voted and correct people if not.  Does forcing someone to vote for you really prove anything?  No.  All that showed is you have the power of peer pressure.  Congratulations.

The most popular campaigning categories were “Sassiest”, “Most likely to invent the next big thing”, and “Be in TIME magazine”.  Of course everyone’s buzzing about Most Athletic and Dream Date, but the less significant categories seemed to capture the attention and be the desire of the campaigners.  If you’re going to go for it and shoot for the stars, why not shoot big?  Apparently the lesser is easier.

Many seniors feel the pressure.  They hear about the Hall of Fame and want to be remembered for something, so in fear that they will some day be forgotten like last night’s dinner, they hurry to try and tip the scale in their favor.  Everyone knows that in certain categories there are obvious winners.  In others though, with such a large collection of over 400 students to pick from, there’s always a possibility that it could be them.  So why not campaign to ensure the odds are more in your favor?  A viable reason could simply be that it’s obnoxious and rude.  In class teachers would end their lesson and the last five minutes would be filled with commanding shouts by pleading people that so desperately wanted to be chosen.  So much for “modesty is better than arrogance.”
This year the overall air about senior voting was that it had little real value or true commemoration, but was instead a popularity contest fueled by pressure to win.  Sure, getting your name and picture under a fun category in the yearbook is exciting, but worth losing your head over?