OHS New building!

Madelinn Kranz, Writer

Everyone can agree that walking all the way from the main building of our school to the very last portable is a nuisance. If it’s raining then everyone walks into the portable soaking wet and by the time they dry, class is over. The school board is working on a solution to this irritable stroll through the rain. The school already has the 700’s building but the board estimates that by 2020 the school will play host to 2,000 students.

By moving the portables to a different school, there will be room on Olympia High School campus for a new building. The building is not far along enough in the process of being planned to be given a name but it is confirmed that it will be created.

Although everyone would rather have a nice warm hall to walk through instead of a cold paved ground, The district is currently working on new buildings for other schools so the building won’t begin construction until the summer of 2019 and is estimated to take around 16 months to complete.

Why does the school need to spend a ton of money on a new building if it’s solely for five minutes of student comfort? Well, every student that goes to class in a portable is considered an unhoused student for that period. Once the amount of unhoused students compared to the amount of portables exceeds its limit, the district will take action and create a plan to make more classrooms.

Ohs is built to comfortably fit 1200 students however there are 1800 students enrolled at ohs. The graduating year of ‘19 is the biggest class that oly has ever seen.. The building will have 22 new classrooms. 12 of the rooms will just be general basic classrooms like an english or spanish class, four of the rooms will be made with the intention of being used as a science lab, two of the rooms will be used as classrooms for special education students and the last two will be used as studios.

The district is working hard to expand our schools to fit the community. “Approximately based on the bond is 22 million dollars” says Frank O’Connor, the assistant principal at olympia high school.

This building will solve many problems that have occurred regarding the size of the student population at OHS. the class of 2021 will have the privilege of enjoying the convenience of the new building.

• OHS New building!

Sports

Bye, Bye Beattie

• OHS New building!

Student Life

The Snow Stops OHS

• OHS New building!

Politics

Wa State Sues Trump

• OHS New building!

News

Code 420: High School Drug Testing

• OHS New building!

Student Life

Vaping at OHS?

• OHS New building!

Student Life

Black History Month

• OHS New building!

News

2016 Memorial

• OHS New building!

Politics

The Election

• OHS New building!

Sports

Bears Football on a traditional season

• OHS New building!

Top Stories

There’s No Debate Here, Forensics is Beneficial to Everyone

OHS New building!