Shortened Summer

Meghan Oehlerking, Writer

Summer break is probably the one thing that both students and teachers look forward to besides winter and Thanksgiving break. But recent events like the obvious snow days and the extra day for our thanksgiving break have caused our beloved summer break to be shortened. However, this isn’t the first time this sunny freedom has been stolen from us. Over time, our break has been getting shorter. In 2008, school was released days before our original release date this year. The release date in 2008 was June 17 and now we are released on the 23rd.

The opinions on our shortened summer are varied and some don’t have an opinion on the matter at all, Sophomore Hailie Lopez says, “I knew it was coming and I wanted the days off right away, so I have accepted it.” Lopez feels that the snow days were worth the summer time off in the end. Some are upset with the fact that our summer is being shortened, but don’t really care over all. Sophomore Jamie McAlpin tells it all in saying, “Well I’m not really cool with our summer being shortened but I can understand why because of the snow days and how we have to a certain amount of hours at school. I don’t like it but I don’t think there’s anything we can do about it.” When asked if it was fair for the school to take days off in the year that eventually takes time off from our summer break, McAlpin answers with, “I think it’s nice that we got extra days off from school, but other than that I don’t have an opinion.”

Then there are those that are not neutral on the matter of our shortened summer. Sophomore Eve Kelly for example commented, “It shouldn’t be, we use that time to do important things and connect with others around us and personally I use that time to do service for others like sports camps and help other people within my youth group,” Kelly emphasizes how summer can be a time for connecting with friends and family and helping out with outside of school activities. Kelly also feels like the added day to our break wasn’t worth it because it had an impact on students education. “Because it took too much to try and get back into the way of things at school. We forgot the things we were learning before the break.”

Though our summer may be shortened, some feel that it isn’t a problem at all and others feel the opposite. Some would say that it doesn’t matter because education is an important privilege that not all kids have. However, it is important for kids to have a break in order to sustain a healthy lifestyle and manage stress levels appropriately. There’s no better time to relax and destress than the wonderful period we call summer break.

• Shortened Summer

Sports

Bye, Bye Beattie

• Shortened Summer

Student Life

The Snow Stops OHS

• Shortened Summer

Politics

Wa State Sues Trump

• Shortened Summer

News

Code 420: High School Drug Testing

• Shortened Summer

Student Life

Vaping at OHS?

• Shortened Summer

Student Life

Black History Month

• Shortened Summer

News

2016 Memorial

• Shortened Summer

Politics

The Election

• Shortened Summer

Sports

Bears Football on a traditional season

• Shortened Summer

Top Stories

There’s No Debate Here, Forensics is Beneficial to Everyone

Shortened Summer