The Oscars

Molly Ith, Writer

Justin Timberlake opened the night with a stunning performance of “Can’t Stop The Feeling”, followed by host Jimmy Kimmel “ruining” the Oscars. He even roasted Mel Gibson with “It looks like the scientology is working”, and fired up a minority by saying “We can really make America Great Again” although it was unclear whether it was of sarcastic intention. Matt Damon got a shout out, kindly worded as “Good job, dumb***”.

A few other actors (and CEO’s) were mentioned as well, but it’s quite hard to keep track of all of them. And one actress, Meryl Streep, who has “stood the test of time of her many overrated performances” was especially put in the spotlight. Kimmel’s opening speech did get a little political, although it mostly was made up of the most epic roasts of time.

To all of you Hamilton fans, it would probably delight you that Lin Manuel Miranda had a short performance after the award for Best Documentary, followed by a piece from 17-year old Moana Actress Auli’i Cravalho, who wowed in an elegant red dress and a stunning voice.

“Tonight is proof that art has no borders.” – Cheryl Boone Isaacs, President of the Academy

Viola Davis gave an emotional speech, brought to tears by the honor and privilege of being chosen.

Sadly, The Iranian director of “The Salesman” was unable to enter the country, even to receive his Oscar for best foreign film.

In an unexpected turn of events, the wrong envelop was given out, and so many thought that La La Land had won Best Picture….But in reality, it was Moonlight. Proving that sometimes mistakes are not mistakes, but merely happy accidents, that only result the betterment of our lives.

During the ceremony, beloved actors such as Gene Wilder, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Carrie Fischer were recognized, among many others.

The Oscars