School Spirit

School Spirit

Taylin Duran, Reporter

Fall is an important time during the school year where school spirit is at an all time high. Be it by assemblies, football, dances or other sport activities, school spirit is a custom at Oly that is based around the three pillars of Pride, Courage, and Tradition.

When and where is the most spirit shown at Olympia High School? Mr. Stevick, a teacher said, “at pep assemblies is where I see the most spirit”. Pep assemblies are where competition is made between classes and Stevick thinks that, “when there is competition people are more motivated to have energy and to really show our school spirit”. With that there is a scoreboard in the front of the gym at assemblies that adds to the competitive drive between the classes to have more spirit than the other. Most assemblies at Olympia High School are not a requirement to attend, but most of the student body does. As Riley Young a senior says, ”the seniors are the ones who model to the rest of the school how spirited all of the classes should be”. She also spoke on her own experiences on how “when [she] was a freshman the freshman class was more spirited because of the seniors that year. It’s easy to bounce off and build on their energy”. There are traditions that have been happening for decades such as “senior courtesy” where the seniors can start to leave before the other classes at the end of assemblies. There are also new traditions, such as the classes having to sing a random song and try to be louder than the other grades in order to win. These new traditions that are being made and thought out give students

Another place school spirit shows up at is at sport games. Riley said that “at football games there’s a whole new environment then when we are actually in school. You get to hangout with friends and cheer for our teams players”. This year Oly’s football team went against very experienced teams, and took a lot of hits. Still students showed up and cheered for the team. Zoe Mulhern a senior is a cheerleader and she is at every game watching how the crowd is reacting to the game. She said “at the games there was more spirit my Freshman year and more people showed up then”. Every home game has a theme for it which the students are supposed to dress as to show school spirit. Football games are the biggest sports activity where the most students show up at.

Is spirit shown as much as it used to be? Stevick said that ”with how spirited our school used to be there is room for improvement”. Olympia High School has been around for generations and is a historic place for Olympia.

• School Spirit

News

College Applications

• School Spirit

A&E

Academic Decathlon

• School Spirit

News

Youth voting in America

• School Spirit

Features

Eating Disorders

• School Spirit

Features

Midterms

• School Spirit

Features

Halloween

• School Spirit

News

Media Bias

• School Spirit

A&E

Homecoming

• School Spirit

Features

Climate Change and Food

• School Spirit

News

No Text is Worth a Death

School Spirit