Class of 2022 Senioritis Cases Sore at OHS

Kendall McBride “working” during Statistics

Harper Gould, Journalist

Senioritis is taking its toll on the Class of 2022 seniors as graduation draws near. While this “disease” is often joked about, there are legitimate feelings that cause seniors to act the way that they do when their final semester of high school comes to an end. 

Kendall McBride is one senior who admits, “Once I figured out where I was going to college, I stopped thinking about high school and more about what I was moving on to.”

Paul Rae, Senior Math Teacher, understands that after college decisions come out is when this issue becomes most apparent, as “It is that time of year,” Rae says. While it can be difficult to teach students through this period of time, “It’s your brain’s way of detaching from OHS…I don’t want to make it harder for you to leave,” Rae claims. 

It is true that there is psychology behind this transition. University of Notre Dame Psychology Professor Darcia Narvaez sees “Senioritis” occurring in people of all ages when going through some kind of transition in life. “You don’t know what’s going to happen, you’re being pushed from your nest, what you’re used to, and you’re moving into the unknown, and you can be paralyzed by that. Stress really impairs your higher-order thinking, too, making it hard to do schoolwork,” Narvaez says. Claudia Horton, a senior at Olympia High School, shares that “I used to think seniors complaining of Senioritis were being dramatic,” however, after experiencing it for herself she recognizes it is a legitimate problem, and overall “out of my control,” Horton claims.

Olympia High School Psychologist Kimberly McMurray agrees that this is a completely natural process. McMurray referenced how COVID-19 being inter-mingled with the class of 2022’s high school experience, has kids anxious to move on even more so than in the past years. The pandemic was traumatic, and high school is associated with this trauma in some regards, and “because of this, a lot of students are ready to move on with their lives,” McMurrary recognizes. 

While this experience is natural, it is something that teachers and seniors need to work through together in order to finish the year on a high note. Rae has tried some silly techniques such as handing out fun stickers to seniors who complete their homework all week. A task that used to be expected of students, but now is requiring a bit more effort and encouragement. McMurray compares the experience to running a race and tells students, “don’t be afraid to reach out” if they need a little help with finishing the race strong. 

McBride also states that respect for her teachers keeps her more on top of work. “When I see my teachers still putting in the effort, that motivates me to do it because I don’t want to make them feel like their work is for nothing,” McBride says. Mutual respect and understanding are necessary between students and teachers when dealing with Senioritis.