Class Sizes

Kai Johnson, Reporter

Olympia High School has just brought in the biggest class (class of 2022) that the school has ever seen. Olympia seems to be growing in size every year. The school welcomes all of the new students and wants them to be successful in high school. But what does this growth do to the school and more importantly, the students themselves. At first glance this may not seem like a big deal, but the more students means bigger class sizes.

According to Center of Public Education, class sizes are shown to affect students and how they interact in with the teacher and their peers. For majority of students smaller class sizes tend to make students feel more comfortable as they can get to know everyone better and make relationships with the people around them. This makes them comfortable with asking questions and taking good risks to further benefit them in their education. Mrs. Soderberg, in her 21st year teaching at Olympia, states “smaller class sizes are better for the students because the students feel more comfortable and are able to have more success.” These smaller class sizes help the students as they seem to find more success in these classrooms.

Classes can also be too small as it can be hard to run the class as the less people there are the harder it is to get discussion and collaboration. Therefore there is a “happy medium” that allows kids to feel comfortable and have one-on-one time but also be able to have good conversation with classmates with new ideas. Junior at Olympia High School, Ethan Gahm says “I like having a smaller class to have a good relationship with the teacher and I can feel comfortable with everyone. But I also like having enough students to discuss with classmates and hear my peers ideas”. Students like this know that a good class size can help them or make it harder for them. It is shown that classes between about 15-20 students in a class is a good amount for a class for the students to perform at their best.

At Olympia High School more and more kids are coming. The freshman class this year is the biggest class the the school has ever seen. This also means that the class sizes are growing and there are more kids to a class. Olympia High School is only so big with so many teachers that there isn’t too much that can be done at the moment to reduce the class sizes and give the students a better chance to succeed. In the future though there are things that the school could and might do to help keep class sizes low and make Olympia even better. But as for now the class sizes are rising and with the freshman being the biggest class to attend Olympia people can notice the difference. Olivia Kline, a junior at Olympia states “I can tell that the student body is growing. I see it in the hallways as it seems more cramp than ever. But I also see it in the classroom as in some of my classes there are so many kids and a lot of freshman too”. People notice the increase in size at Olympia High School, including the big freshman class this year.

Class sizes do matter, they can affect students both positively and negatively as smaller class sizes (between 15-20 students) can really help a student become successful in school. So at Olympia High School something may have to be done soon to help reduce classes as the school keeps gaining more and more students each year.

• Class Sizes

News

School Spirit

• Class Sizes

News

College Applications

• Opinion

Birthright Citizenship

• Class Sizes

A&E

Academic Decathlon

• Class Sizes

Opinion

Dress Code

• Class Sizes

News

Youth voting in America

• Class Sizes

Features

Eating Disorders

• Class Sizes

Opinion

Football

• Class Sizes

Features

Midterms

• Class Sizes

Features

Healthcare

Class Sizes