MENU

XMAS Blockbusters

XMAS Blockbusters

Prue Gibson, Reporter

It’s the holiday season, and you’re in the mood to watch something festive. The holidays are all about pine-scented candles, peppermint mochas, and as many movies as you can pack on one weekend with your loved ones. A survey was sent out to Mrs.Chan 4th period Spanish class. The students were asked to choose their top three favorite Christmas movies from a list of nine. The movies they could choose from were: The National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Elf, Home Alone, A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Scrooged, Frosty the Snowman, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and 8 Crazy Nights.

In the first place, being the best holiday movie is Elf. Since its debut in 2003, watching Elf has become a holiday tradition for many. The magical tale of Buddy’s, Will Ferrell, quest to find his biological father is such a Christmas classic that viewing it is the equivalent of singing carols while eating figgy pudding as chestnuts roast near you on an open fire. There are so many reasons as to why this is the best holiday movie. Maybe it’s because we’ve been quoting it for fifteen years, or how Buddy’s newfound relationship with his family gets us every time, or maybe it’s because we’ve always wanted to try spaghetti with maple syrup, or how Buddy’s songs are masterpieces. But the main reason is that it truly captures the holiday spirit in the most memorable way. Buddy not only taught us the four major food groups, candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup. But he also taught us about kindness, compassion, and humor.

In second place was Home Alone. From its accurate depiction of the panicky yet elated feeling, you get when things go completely wrong and awry. Accompanying lessons in what to do in times of crisis, to its unapologetic shenanigans. Some say it’s one of the best because of its accuracy on the difficulties of dealing with family, especially siblings; its lessons in stranger danger, or the booby traps we all still want to build. Claire Bautista a sophomore at OHS talks about why she thinks Home Alone is one of the best holiday movies, “I like the theme of Home Alone that adults are not always perfect and sometimes regular kids like us can save the day. The parents make such a big deal about being with their son and so do the siblings who don’t particularly like them. It helps to remind us that gifts and such aren’t the true meaning of Christmas, the true meaning of Christmas is to be with your family and loved ones.” Home Alone is about the one thing all parents fear most, forgetting about your kid. When the eight-year-old Kevin McCallister, (Macaulay Culkin), acts out the night before a family trip to Paris, his mother makes him sleep in the attic. After the McCallister family leaves to the airport and gets on the plane they soon realized that they all forgot about Kevin. He then must protect his house from two burglars. Which leads to a crazy adventure in which Kevin tries to protect his house from burglars during Christmas while his mother goes to great lengths to get back to him from across the world. Making it one of the best and most memorable holiday movies since its release in 1990.

In third place was The National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Christmas Vacation could not be more pointedly about the highs and lows of the holiday season. Clark Griswold, Chevy Chase, spends the movie in a crazed quest to recreate the idyllic family Christmases he remembers from his childhood. The conflict arises from the ideal Christmas he holds in his imagination, and how many obstacles reality and his family present to make it happen. It’s a more honest and meaningful portrayal of what the holidays are. It’s a time to be with family and to make that time special for each other. That’s what being a family is about: trying so hard to make memories for your kids even when they’re being snots, having your in-laws stay over even though they constantly make passive-aggressive comments, and missing calls from your boyfriend, Alexander, because your grandpa picked up and told him you were going to the bathroom. You might continue to be irritated by people in your family you might even dislike them but you spend time with them because, well, they’re family. There’s a deeper love that comes with that, one that can’t be tossed aside just because your cousin-by-marriage emptied his RV’s chemical toilet into your rain sewer.

Other options for those that celebrate Hanukkah are; 8 Crazy Nights and Full-court miracle. Which are both great movies using witty humor and the powering of believing to make miracles, except for 8 Crazy Nights, it’s nasty and horrible.