Advice for Bears!

Skip Fabritius, the Personal Finance and Accounting teacher.

Abbey Puntillo, Journalist

Attention graduating seniors and underclassmen! Feeling stressed? Concerned about the future? Need some advice? You are in luck! The staff at Olympia High School has everything students need to know from incoming freshmen to graduating seniors, and seniors who are feeling stressed about their future.

First up is some advice for incoming freshmen. Jen Boelts, from the Career and Counseling Center, recommends that incoming freshmen should, “join clubs and choose their friends wisely.” She feels strongly that your friends “can drive your choices and impact how you grow as a person.” Tania Albert, English Teacher, says to “make connections, join clubs, and to always consider playing sports.” You never know what you can do until you try, and your freshman year is a great time to try new things. Accounting and Personal Finance Teacher Skip Fabritius’ advice for freshmen is to “make sure that you take your classes seriously and understand what you need to do in order to be successful at the level you want. He also recommends “to be honest with yourself.” It is good to have high expectations and goals, but you “have to recognize that it takes hard work to get there.” 

This time of the year is stressful for a lot of seniors because of busy schedules, deadlines, getting four- years of high school completed, and planning for the future. When it comes to stress Albert says, “do something that feels fulfilling to you. Whether that is playing a sport, hanging out with people that care about you, or going for a walk.” Taking some time to relax and get organized will also help reduce stress. Another tip from Boelts is to “take it one day at a time.” She recommends “to pay attention to details like who sits at your dinner table, and who you want to engage with in life.” Focus on relationships that are real and meaningful. Last, but not least, Fabritius reminds us that not all adults know what they want to do. He also says, “if you’re worried about your future at the age of eighteen, you should probably relax. There are so many unknowns in your life right now. It is important to learn and identify what is important to you. That should become your focus.” 

In terms of advice for graduating seniors, Albert suggests that “You don’t have to have it all figured out tomorrow. Keep moving forward, and be open to the things that come. Sometimes we commit to something and then change our minds. We tend to define our lives by numbers like how much money we make, or our GPA. Those things are not good scales. Look at what you are doing and notice how you are feeling. Are you feeling happy and fulfilled?” Fabritius’ advice for graduating seniors is, “To focus on what you really like, and that is where you should spend your time.” Try to enjoy your time doing the things you love. Ms. Boelts recommends, “to maintain relationships with people who lift you up and don’t drag you down, because they can be great resources for you in the future.” It is also good to remember to not be too hard on yourself, or others.  

All the staff and teachers at Olympia High School are your resources and have advice from their many years of experience. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it, or are feeling stressed. That’s what they are here for!