Olympia’s Newest Sport Takes Flight

Austin Oberbillig

Austin Oberbillig, Editor

It is a frenzied, electric, and agile Frisbee game. With 4.9 million players in 2008, it’s one of the world’s fastest growing sports. Ultimate Frisbee, or Ultimate as enthusiasts know it, utilizes elements of soccer, football, rugby, and basketball and is played in the absence of a referee.

Recently, some enterprising students from Olympia High School have been working alongside Michael Santana, a district sports official, to establish a local indoor Ultimate league for local students.

Ultimate is a team sport played with a flying disc. The object of the game is to score points by passing the disc to a player in the opposing end zone, similar to an end zone in American football or the in-goal area in rugby. Players may not run with the disc, and may only pivot while holding the disc. Its self officiated, with players calling travels, fouls, and out of bounds.

“All of us love Ultimate and we just really want to get this sport out there and noticed,” said Senior Ronald Yoo, one of the students organizing the Olympia league.

Yoo’s group is seeking awareness for the sport and looking to spread its membership throughout the community.

Yoo believes the sport can compete effectively for membership against school-sanctioned sports because of its affordability.

“Ultimate isn’t as big as some sports like football, but it is a lot more affordable. That is why [we] believe we could get more people involved for a small fee,” said Yoo.

Yoo goes on to say, “[It’s] is a sport anyone can play. You don’t need to be super fast, or super strong, you just need two feet, shorts, and a shirt,” adding to its appeal in the sports world.

Furthermore, the injuries that can be sustained during games are far less serious than football or soccer. Instead of broken bones and torn ligaments, jammed fingers and ankle blisters are far more common.

While the league is still in the early stages of development, Yoo and Santana predict it will be up and running by early November.

Practices are Sunday at four p.m. at Ingersoll Stadium unless the field is busy and everyone is welcome. Any questions regarding practices or anything regarding the league can be emailed to Ronald Yoo at [email protected].