MENU

Lady Bears Swim For Glory

Lady Bears Swim For Glory

Meagan Smith, Writer

At the sound of the buzzer, the swimmers fly off the blocks and penetrate the turquoise landscape leaving a flurry of bubbles behind. With adrenaline pulsing through their veins and their hearts beating rapidly, each of the swimmers are relying on their training; thinking how to handle their muscles, techniques depending if they are racing in a sprint or if they are swimming long distance. They don’t think, they just swim. They never stop to question themselves until they’ve touched the wall, as these are the moments every swimmer lives for.

Yet, as swimmers get lined up behind the blocks getting ready for their race, all Junior Maya Hansen-Tilkens can think about is swimming fast. She explains, “You kinda zone out as you intently think about your race. Your only thought is, ‘I want to swim fast’ and this video in your head on how you want to perform.” In a matter of seconds, the swimmers leap of the blocks with their own personal goal in mind. With the season coming to an end, the Lady Bears are 10 -2. For Freshman Anna Daniels-Brown she was excited to, “get to know the other swimmers better and improving her time.”

Like any sport, it takes dedication. Regardless if you swam a bad race, it’s important to stay motivated even when faced with a challenge. Senior Elise Brodie knows this best as she looks to the other people on the team, insisting,“Watching them work relentlessly towards their goals inspires me to do better.” In preparation for a big meet, Freshman Diana Giang feels, “It’s necessary to be pumped up because you have more energy to sprint and swim your hardest. If you’re calm and relaxed you won’t go as fast because you’re not as energized and lack the motivation to swim fast.” As in all sports, goals are extremely important to swimming as they make you focus on what you want to achieve. Whether it’s a “state time” or a “personal best” Junior Ally Norman states, “ It’s necessary to have short and long term goals in mind to know what you’re training for.” You can have all the potential in the world but without goals or target in mind, your abilities and talent are useless.

Along with the spaghetti feeds, carpools and the coveted subway sandwiches on the away meets, there is much to love about being on the swim team. For Junior Kelsey Pruett, team activities are her favorite, especially team sleepovers, “We get to bond and learn new and exciting things about one another, bringing us closer together as a team.”

Team means together. Although swimmers compete individually, and gather team points with their places and time in each swimmer’s race, the Lady Bears swim team is like a one big family as they encourage each other to do their absolute best and push all to reach full potential. While individual goals are incredibly important, being apart of a team goal is extraordinary.