Bears Football on a traditional season

Credit to the Olympian

Credit to the Olympian

Credit to the Olympian

Porter Kamerath, Writer

The Olympia football team of 2016 is a proud team, that are ready to show what they have, give it their all, and enjoy the game, it’s been this way for a long time though, thanks to tradition.

1904 is the year that Olympia High School started playing football, and they’ve been playing all the way up till now. That’s 112 years, crazy! That’s older than my dad, and I don’t care what you think, that is old. Back then, people had a life and did stuff like football, instead of just vegetating on the couch with social media and Youtube. If you look at our display case for football, you’ll notice over the years we’ve won some pretty amazing things, including a couple of state championships. That’s a lot of tradition to keep up with, but most players these days wouldn’t have it any other way.

Now fast forward a mere 112 years, and you can forget that nightmare of not having your precious Snapchat. The Olympia Bears 2016 football team have a new motto, MAFIA. What does MAFIA mean? It means Make A First Impression Again. But why are we making a first impression again? Because our team has switched to a new league. Bill Beattie, head football coach, says when asked why we switched, he says, “The league we’ve been in has disbanded, they only had 3-4 teams left.”

Even though Coach Beattie says, “Overall it is a tougher league”  Skyler Davis, a senior and and captain, is still really confident. “We’ve already made a first good impression through the first three weeks in the season, we’re 3-0 in the league. I think that people are excited to show, what we have and that we’re not some soft white colored school, that we’re actually a legit football team.”

How come though, players strive to, “Make A First Impression Again?” Why do they play football?  Is it for the workout it gives them? For the fun and thrill of winning? A way to fill up time? Or maybe they do it for the girls? Davis, who has been playing since fifth grade, also says that “This is like a second home, the coaches are all like second fathers to me. After I started playing, you can’t explain it but you just love it, you love the feeling. I like winning, and then looking back at what went into the win. Working hard at practice, and the unity that you create with your teammates, then putting it all together, showing everybody else what you can do, and ultimately win.” Many football players would agree with Davis, that football is all about being a team and working together, working hard, winning, and getting that feeling in you that you love. But the ladies are a pretty sweet perk that comes with football.

• Bears Football on a traditional season

Sports

Bye, Bye Beattie

Student Life

The Snow Stops OHS

Politics

Wa State Sues Trump

News

Code 420: High School Drug Testing

Student Life

Vaping at OHS?

Student Life

Black History Month

News

2016 Memorial

Politics

The Election

Top Stories

There’s No Debate Here, Forensics is Beneficial to Everyone

Top Stories

WiFi yes or no?

Bears Football on a traditional season