OHS less known sports

OHS less known sports

Porter Kamerath, Writer

We’ve all been to those big football games. Crowd’s cheering, band’s playing, and you’re stuffing your mouth with a crappy two dollar hot dog. Or perhaps a fun basketball game where everyone’s on their feet, cheering as the team makes a buzzer beater winning them the game. What about the lesser known sports? Have you ever been to a tennis match, or to a golf game? I didn’t think so. It feels as if there are a lot of sports out there, that are fun and great, that just don’t get enough credit.

“Your out there by yourself, you can rely only rely on yourself, it’s not just a physical game, it’s also a mental game. If you mess yup you can either get mad at yourself, and mess up your overall performance, or you can just keep pushing through,” says Justin Ong, captain for OHS’s tennis team. In tennis you play by yourself, you’re out there by yourself. You don’t have someone to back you up. “I guess it’s because, it’s an individual sport, and people like the aspect of a team, and building on teamwork. In tennis there is an aspect of teamwork, when you win you add points to the team, or with doubles where you have a partner, but it’s definitely not at the level of football or basketball.” So people care about sports that build on teamwork. If you think about it sports that are more popular are sports that focus on teamwork. Soccer, Football, Basketball, Baseball, are all team sports and there the popular ones.

Another thing that makes some sports less popular is the time it takes. Golf captain Riley Killip says, “the average golfer, has to find four to five hours, and especially during a work week it’s really hard to do. Time is one of the major reasons [people don’t play golf].” Golf isn’t the only sport that feels this way, girls bowling captain, Rachel Ballew agrees with Riley, “I think a lot of people think it will take up way too much time, but I really don’t think it takes up that much time.” Let’s be honest golf is going to take up a lot of time. That is a sacrifice that many people are willing to make though. It’s fun and relaxing, where you can just

chill with friends. Other sports like bowling though, may seem like they will take up too much time, but really don’t. They’re exciting, fun and energetic. A time when you compete with or against teammates.

There are also many other sports out there that are fun and exciting, that OHS doesn’t offer. Freshman Luke Martin, plays rugby, and he loves it! “At our club we don’t call each other team mates we call each other family because you build lifelong friendships. And it’s a fun sport to play because it’s very physical.” It’s fast and exciting, a game that Luke thinks everyone should play. He says, that despite how fun of a sport it is “it’s not that popular of a sport yet.” He later explains that one of the reasons it’s not that popular to watch, is because of all the breaks in a game. It takes up a lot of time, and though it’s fun to watch, the breaks get annoying. Luke hopes that one day though that Rugby will become a popular enough sport, that Olympia could have their own team. Rugby isn’t the only sport that’s like this, there are many others, like lacrosse for example, or cycling. There are lots of people out there that wish OHS had more sports.