SOS: Save Our Snacks

Lucas Schaefer, Staff Writer

Attention snackers, loiterers, kids-without-lunch, and anyone who eats those nasty little cereal bar things, OHS’ beloved semi-nutritious and semi-tasty snacks may be in jeopardy! Earlier this month, rumors that the illustrious vending machines adorning Oly’s hallways would be altered or even removed for financial reasons.
For decades, the cash collected by these snack lockers benefits our school, raising money for things like sporting equipment, classroom supplies and textbooks written in the 21st century.
However the cash doesn’t flow like it used to since the school district’s nutritional policies have changed over the years, with teen staples like sodas and other sugary joys now prohibited from the venders. “We make ten percent of what we made just a few years ago. Those machines rake in $2,800 on average as opposed to the $28,000 of the past. And, when you put into account the third party owners of the machines and the cut they take, we’re making even less,” said OHS Principal Matt Grant.
So what’s the solution? Are they jacking up our snack prices? Are we getting back the sugary goods? What will happen to those cereal bar things?!
Rest easy students, the administration seems to like those machines even more than we do, and teachers, admins and even some students are devising a plan to bring the vending income back to it’s former glory.
A recent idea and probable idea is to make OHS the first party owner of the vending machines. Machines would be owned or rented by the school rather than a third party, and filled with snacks supplied by the school from a food and beverage wholesaler. Grant says, “I believe that students are currently dissatisfied with the snacks and their prices. But, if the school is picking them out we can give broader choices more akin to what the students want, within the boundaries of our health regulations of course.” While purchasing the machines could be quite expensive initially, this looks like OHS’ best bet. Imagine: if these machines carried snacks as popular as the Student Store’s god-like cookie bags, then machines would make a profit in no time. Students love the convenience of these machines; the fact they even sell those $2 thimbles of cold Starbucks is proof of that. So a big hit at the touch of a few buttons could revitalize the income our ASB once had from the machines.
Yet, how would the school know what snacks to bring to the table? Easy: talk to your ASB representatives and fellow leadership members. They are the students appointed with helping solve the whole vending crisis. Yet our snack desires could not run wild: due to district and state regulations, the school cannot sell us Red Bull and Twinkies. Still, it does not all have to be granola and apple chips. How about Fruit Gushers, Kettle chips, Pringles, or Brisk iced teas? If the school can sell it and we want it, they will no doubt do what they can. New machine plans, if implemented, would be soon- possibly by September or maybe even late spring. Don’t hesitate to voice your opinion and show support for a better vending machine plan. A new plan could mean better snacks for us, and a better OHS to snack in.