Job Struggles

A red and white sign with the words Now Hiring isolated on a white background Now Hiring Sign

Grace Zook, Writer

Getting a job as a high schooler can be difficult nowadays, with all the rules and contracts if you’re under 18, and transportation issues. There’s a rumor that most businesses won’t want to hire you if you’re underage but that’s actually completely false. Employers love getting young employees because we’re energetic and enthusiastic to be there, making money and being responsible. Getting your first job is a big leap in growing up, but you can’t get that if you can’t find anywhere that’s hiring. It’s a repetitive complaint that high schoolers never hear about places that are hiring people under 18. But the issue seems to be that students aren’t looking in the right places or at the right time. Mikey Scafe, sophomore, says, “I never leave my house.” It’s clear why he doesn’t know about hiring places nearby. Allison Zhang, Senior, says, “I usually see about 2 hiring places when I’m looking.” The best areas to look would be “Downtown or lower Eastside. There’s always places around there.” Being sociable is key as well, you can find out about jobs through other employees of hiring businesses. “I just found out about a potential job for Wal-Mart because a cashier mentioned it while we were talking.” says Julie Kamieniecki, sophomore. There are other ways to find jobs especially with all of our advanced technology nowadays, like applications on our smartphones. Snagajob is a very useful app, it tells you places in your town that are hiring young people (high schoolers), and top teen employers in your area so you can keep an eye out for specific businesses that hire teenagers, part time or full time. Scafe says, “I like using easy access apps and websites. I don’t have to leave my house.”

But it’s not just about finding a place that’s hiring, you still need to actually get the job if you want it. “You’ll want to have good references, a good resume, and nothing bad on your record.” says Zhang. “Don’t get caught,” says Kamieniecki, “preferably don’t do anything bad at all though.” Volunteer opportunities can help a lot too. “I got my job at the Children’s Museum because I use to volunteer there a lot, so they offered me a paying job.”, Zhang.

Meeting your boss and being interviewed is pretty nerve wracking. “I have social anxiety so when I get interviewed I know I’ll mess something up, or stutter too much, or seem rushed.” says, Julie. Zhang says, “Getting to meet the boss in person is nice though.” Some good tips for your interview would be, “preparing what you’ll say ahead of time.” Kamieniecki, “and don’t say too much or too little. And a thank you note/letter won’t hurt.”

“Before I had my job I would do chores, occasionally wash the car, and wait for Christmas/birthdays to get money.”, said Zhang. This is an easy way to make money before your parents cut you off from this option. So when you get a job your schedule changes, and you have less time for after school activities or hanging out with friends. A good way to deal with this is keeping a calendar and having a job with flexible schedules. Although most part time jobs require you to be the flexible one there are still a few things that can help with tight schedules. “Don’t forget any important dates, plan as far ahead as possible, and ask your boss for a estimate of what times/days you’ll be working so you have an idea of what’s going on.

“Balancing work, school, sports, friends and family life is difficult.” says Zhang, “It requires lots of responsibility.” And having relaxation time is something everyone needs every now and then. And if you can’t find that desired money making occupation don’t fret! With summer right around the corner there will be plenty of places looking for new summer employees. And even if you can’t get a job you can find somewhere to volunteer, which can lead to a future job or just look good on an application.

• Job Struggles

Sports

Bye, Bye Beattie

• Job Struggles

Student Life

The Snow Stops OHS

• Job Struggles

Politics

Wa State Sues Trump

• Job Struggles

News

Code 420: High School Drug Testing

• Job Struggles

Student Life

Vaping at OHS?

• Job Struggles

Student Life

Black History Month

• Job Struggles

News

2016 Memorial

• Job Struggles

Politics

The Election

• Job Struggles

Sports

Bears Football on a traditional season

• Job Struggles

Top Stories

There’s No Debate Here, Forensics is Beneficial to Everyone

Job Struggles