Wa State Sues Trump

Nathan Keirn [email protected]

Nathan Keirn [email protected]

Julia Jensen, Writer

President Donald J. Trump’s immigration ban has caused uproar throughout the country. Protests are sprouting up everywhere and in response to detention of immigrants in airports; there have been protests at airports around the country. Lawsuits over the Executive order, which restricts immigration from seven of the Muslim countries and suspends all refugees for 120 days. ACLU explains that “The ACLU, along with several groups, filed a lawsuit this morning on behalf of two Iraqi men who were en route to the United States on immigrant visas when President Trump issued an executive order banning many Muslims from entering the country.” Washington State is the first state to sue Trump on this ban. Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson said he was “suing Trump over his temporary ban on immigration from seven countries with majority-Muslim populations, making it the first state to announce a legal action against the Trump administration over one of its policies” (Chicago Tribune). Who is affected by this ban? It was said that Trump was ordering to suspend all immigrants for 90 days; he also suspended the United States refugee program.

Along with drawing national attention, many OHS students have strong opinions on the matter, Darien Ryan (Senior), explains that he “disagrees with the ban and believes that the countries that should be affected by it are those that actually house terrorists such as Saudi Arabia” This ban has sparked many protests across the country with people heavily disagreeing with this executive order. Elexa Harris (Senior), says that her opinion on the ban is that she “doesn’t think that’s the right thing to do, because, people shouldn’t be banned from another country based off of what a few individuals chose to do, just because you are associated with that culture.” It is believed that this immigration ban is unconstitutional. Washington State is requesting a temporary restraining order against the enforcement of this order, there is a complaint that this ban is separating families, damaging the economy, and hurting thousands of people throughout the state and the country. The ruling so far concludes, “A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on Thursday unanimously upheld a Federal District Court judge’s decision to temporarily block the Trump administration from carrying out its executive order on immigration” (NY Times). The ruling shows that for now, Trump loses this time. There are many different opinions on this issue all over, but the U.S Court of Appeals has put a hold on the ban for now.

• Wa State Sues Trump

Opinion

Senior Wake-up Call

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Things to do for Winter Break

• Features

Fall Play

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Where to Trick or Treat

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Scary Movie Guide

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Homecoming

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Random Acts of Kindness Club

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Costumes at OHS

• Wa State Sues Trump

Features

Paranormal Activity

• Features

Improvements at OHS

Wa State Sues Trump