Mama Mia! The Triumphant Final OHS Play

Mama Mia! The Triumphant Final OHS Play

Dylan Sawyer, Reporter

Olympia High School’s spring musical is in full swing. Auditions for Mamma Mia began March 11. The cast is working tirelessly at rehearsal, preparing for their opening night the first weekend of April. Mamma Mia is a movie about a young girl, Sophie who is to be married to her fiance Sky in Greece. Sophie secretly invites three of her mother’s ex-lovers to her wedding in hopes of finding out which one is her true father. The movie became increasingly popular with a sequel coming out last year. Due to the popular songs in the movie, the film has become a popular play to perform.

Molly Anders, a senior said, “This is the most excited I think I’ve ever been for a play I’ve been in. For us seniors, it’s our last play we will ever do in high school, and I don’t think our director, Mr. Meyers could’ve picked a better play to go out on. Mamma Mia is a show that we’ll not only have fun rehearsing and performing, but that people will genuinely enjoy watching. Our last play #Nothing was super fun, but Shakespeare sometimes isn’t the most fun to watch, this time, I think the audience will really enjoy it.”

McKenna Soderberg, also a senior, said, “When our director announces the next play to us, he gives us clues to see if we can guess. This time, everyone was completely stumped, but when we found out that we were going to do Mamma Mia, everyone was ecstatic. I’ve done a Mamma Mia show in the past and it was a total blast. Also, because the movie is so popular I think our audience will really enjoy it too. The songs are so well known that people will kinda be able to sing along in their head, I think it’ll be really fun.”

People are so excited about the play that brand new people are taking part. Audrey Ritter, a senior said, “This is my first OHS play, which makes it unique because not only is it an incredible show but I also get to perform with some of my best friends like I did when I was younger. I was drawn to be a part of this play because I wanted to end my year doing something fun with my friends and I have always heard about how great it is to be in a spring musical.”

Finish off your spring break with a trip to the PAC to see Mamma Mia. For just five dollars, you can see what may be the show of the year from Olympia High School. You don’t want to miss out!