Lake Fair Princess Crowned

Alexis Jackson

Alexis Jackson, Writer

As the weather gets nicer, leaves falling off the trees and summer getting closer and closer, the Lake Fair Royalty Court is in full swing, hand picking princess’ from each local school and ultimately picking one lucky girl each year. Lake Fair Royalty has been a tradition since 1958, and has been represented by local senior girls from River Ridge, Tumwater, Timberline, Black Hills, North Thurston, Capital and Olympia High School. OHS was lucky to have been represented by Lake Fair Queen, Senior Macy Allaire, while this year we are represented by Princess, Junior Rachel Kelson. As a Lake Fair Princess or queen you’re supposed to be a good representation of the community, yourself and your school. According to our representing princess this year Kelson, applying to be a princess is relatively simple, you must have at least a 3.3 accumulative GPA, fill out an application much like for a college, then write a short essay about yourself, hobbies, interests, your hopes for the community and school and a little bit about your own personality.  Following the application process than you have to be interviewed by staff and administration at your respective school.

Out of 11 or so girls that applied this year, Kelson was chosen to represent OHS and will be attending all Lake Fair events like similar parades, Lake Fair itself, Arts Walk, volleyball tournament on the Capital lawn, and also have the opportunity to speak at events on behalf of our community. The final Lake Fair Court this year is led by Queen Katherine Nguyen from Capital High School along with six princesses. Kelson describes her personal relationship with the court “I love our court!  I couldn’t be happier with the girls I get to experience this with. We all get along and have personalities that mesh and complement each other.” Outside of the glamorous life of a princess, Kelson manages to keep busy with Varsity volleyball and tennis, leadership program and choir while still finding time to pursue her passion of reading, and spending time with her family and friends. Kelson, strongly encourages anyone to fill out an application to become a Lake Fair princess and possibly queen next year, stating “it’s a great experience so far, there’s nothing to lose, and I would highly recommend putting yourself out there and applying.” You can catch the Lake Fair court this year at Lake Fair July 17th-21st, come support!