The Do’s and Dont’s of Dirty Dancing

Amy Corella, Writer

With Homecoming behind us, there are certainly many more school dances are up ahead and let me tell you, Freshman, homecoming was one thing: Stressful. Along with all of the stress that goes on in relation to school dances, The Olympus is here to help by getting some classic do’s and dont’s and tips to prep you for dances the rest of this year. Maybe this will help you alleviate some of those little disasters that some face during this time.

First of all, lets address the problem of going to a dance with someone they don’t even like. It seems some of you do this at big event dances like Homecoming, simply because you want to go to the big event. But, really, you should know that for years now, students have not needed a “date” for such dances; you can go with a bunch of friends, date or no. So, why go with a person you don’t like?

In terms of how you look showing up to the dance, some of the “dont’s” seem obvious, but they always happen anyway. For girls, a huge don’t of dresses: Don’t wear a dress that reveals “too much” during the night; really, it’s not cute. The chatter about such girls around the dance and during the next school day is NOT flattering.

Next, be it your coolest jeans or a ball gown, do yourself a favor and spend time finding shoes that you’ll be comfortable in the whole night, dancing or standing. Even better than appropriate shoes, make sure you can fully walk with them on! (When you don’t go with “sensible shoes” the taller you are, the bigger the chance of you falling. –You don’t want that.)

Senior Macey Adams adds that regardless of all the little things you try in preparing how you look, “Don’t worry too much about all the little things. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. I know the stress that comes with walking in and seeing someone in the same dress, or when it rains and gets your hair all wet and messes it up. I understand being all self conscious, but I promise you don’t need to be. you’ll have a rad time!”

Beyond clothes, Junior Keisha Hall, a veteran of many dances, pointed out, “Don’t go to the dance in a bad mood. If you go to the dance and you’re just in a bad mood or mad, just go home.” Then she moved on to thinking about going with a date: “Do color coordinate [with each other], don’t clash. For instance, if the girl decides to wear a blue dress, maybe the guy can wear a blue tie, get a blue corsage, something along those lines. If one date wears a red dress…maybe don’t go with the yellow tie. Ya feel?”

Now for pictures: Hall suggests, “Do smile nicely with your arm around your date; really, it matters for your parents in most cases.”

“People usually think that activities after prom involve drinking or smoking. Do not feel pressured by anyone to do either, including your date! You are responsible for your own actions and are old enough to make a decision for yourself. Whatever it is that you decide to do after prom should satisfy you and not anyone else!” insists Keisha Hall.

Next, student Alanna Lynn, addressed some social dance discomforts. “I think that one problem that several people face sometimes during a school dance is that a slow song will come up and all of your friends get asked to dance, …everyone but you. When this happens don’t even fret, there’s no point in just standing around watching all the people dance. So, make the most of your time and go to the bathroom, get some punch, or even go talk to someone you see not dancing either and make a new friend!” As to addressing this problem by possibly going to a dance with a date or a group, Lynn replied, “I think that going in a group is a much better idea than going with a date, or have a date but also go in a group; it really makes it more fun, and the more people the more memories.”

If you do go with a date or friends, Lynn says, “Dance with your date or friends! Don’t ditch them for the dance floor; some people are pretty shy, and while they might say they don’t want to dance, they probably do. So ask them to come dance with you. Make them feel comfortable so that they can have fun too!” And if they say no to your insistence that they join you? “Well at least you tried,” replies Lynn.

Lynn had a bit to say on guys getting haircuts before the dance: “DON’T. And I repeat, don’t get your hair cut immediately before the dance. For some unknown reason, practically no boy knows how to correctly instruct their barber, and they end up with their head almost always butchered. So try to get it cut a week before, this way there will at least be time for it to grow out.”

Senior Macey Adams suggests, “Take lots of photos, nice ones and silly ones. I still look back at all mine from previous years all the time.”

Adams also has an insistent tip for dancing, “Please, for the love of all that is good on this planet, do not just grind the whole time. It is so uncomfortable for everyone else!” Further dance suggestions include suggesting what music be played, and, “Drink lots of water, don’t get dehydrated.

All students interviewed shared the same big suggestion: “Have fun!”