Safe Party Tips

Fiona Murphy, Reporter

High school is a world full of homework, strict teachers, long days, parties, and napping. However, one of these things can put teenagers in perilous circumstances. Rest assured, the dangerous thing isn’t napping. The dangerous item is actually parties. What is brought to mind when parties are brought up in a conversation? Pumping music, cute dresses, dancing, and most importantly, alcohol. A well known and fun way to blow off steam at the end of the week is drinking.  Be that as it may, what can start out as a fun, safe time can quickly turn into a precarious situation in a split second.

In recent news, there have been allegations have been brought against Brett Kavanaugh, a nominee for the Supreme Court. These accusations depose that when Brett Kavanaugh was a seventeen year old boy in high school, he and a friend, Mark Judge, stumbled into a room with a girl while very drunk, and they attempted to sexually assault her. Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the victim, was fifteen years old at this time. However, sexual assault isn’t the only dangerous occurrence that presents itself at parties. Binge drinking is also incredibly dangerous. In the past twenty years, those little red plastic cups have been making many appearances in the United States – and now they’re here to stay. Drinking at parties is incredibly dangerous and incredibly underestimated. Binge drinking at parties can seem like a harmless competition, but end up leaving the drinker fighting for their life. For the average highschooler, the consumption of three hundred grams of alcohol or over can be fatal. That is equal to thirty regular drinks, or one liter of spirits, or four bottles of wine. The Olympia High community is not immune to these dangers. However, to prevent students from getting themselves into these dangerous situations, there are a few things that can be done to keep safe.

Officer Kurtright is a police officer at the Olympia Police Department. He says there are many precautions necessary to take when in a dangerous situation. However, one of the most of important precautions to take is, “Be aware of your surroundings,” says Officer Doug Kurtright, a school resource officer at Olympia High School and a Police Officer of the Olympia Police Department. “If you are in a sketchy area, you should be looking up and be very aware of your surroundings. If you’re wearing earbuds or looking down, that can increase your chance of being attacked. It’s very difficult to be caught off guard if you’re looking up and you’re aware of your surroundings, your chance of being attacked is far less.” Even though putting in earbuds at school can help give a little bit of pop to the drag of everyday life, earbuds can be very dangerous in other situations. If in doubt, wait until there’s a safe place, preferably a place with light and other people around. Being unaware of your surroundings can make a seemingly sketchy situation – a dark corner of someone’s house, an alleyway, a dark hallway in someone’s house, twice as perilous. To be safe, it’s necessary to be aware.

Another way that students can make sure they’re safe is making a backup plan. If a dangerous situation presents itself, it’s absolutely necessary to have a backup plan, like “Oh, I have lots of homework. I have to head home,” or “It’s getting pretty late, I think I’ll head home,” in order to get out of the uncomfortable or potentially dangerous situation. “Even when I’m out with my friends and I’m out of uniform, I still prepare an excuse if someone pulls out a cigarette or decides to engage in the activity of drinking alcohol. It’s very important for the students’ safety that they are able to exit the situation in a safe way.” cites Officer Doug Kurtright. Being able to leave the situation so you don’t have to use violence to get out of a dangerous situation. “0; unfortunately if you are also consuming alcohol – say a party with other teenagers – your ability to remain aware of the environment and potential dangers to yourself are diminished significantly. I remember responding to at least one accident where several young teenagers were injured and in interviewing the passengers it became very clear that they did not realize how intoxicated the driver was, yet they got into the car with him.” Jack Murphy, a police officer in Brockton and Boston Massachusetts, served in the army for 21 years.

Dangerous situations present themselves all of the time, especially to teenagers. Be safe, so be sure to watch the area, be ready to leave, and recognize the warning signs when a seemingly fun time suddenly turns to danger.