Francis Scott Key West Bridge collapse: what’s known right now

AP News
Francis Scott Key West Bridge collapsed after cargo vessel hits support pillar

Early Tuesday, March 26, the famous Francis Scott Key West Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland collapsed after being struck by a 984-foot cargo vessel. There are still many unknowns, but this is what is known so far.

The cargo vessel, visible with thick black smoke rising from the stern, crashed into one of the main support columns around 1:30 AM of the bridge shortly after “notifying authorities of a ‘power issue,’” according to NBC News. During the press conference Tuesday morning, Agent William J. DelBagno in charge of the FBI’s Baltimore field office, wanted to make sure that the public knows that the FBI is investigating and at this moment they believe “there is no specific or credible information to suggest there are ties to terrorism in this incident.” All signs are pointing to a “terrible accident,” as President Joe Biden stated during a public briefing, but the FBI and the state of Maryland will continue to investigate this tragedy

Within an hour of the collapse, first responders along with the Coast Guard launched a search and rescue mission to help anyone that was on the bridge during the collapse. The main victims were a construction crew of 8 people who were working to fill potholes.

The press conference made it clear that the bridge was fully up to safety standards and the construction crew was not working on anything structural about the bridge. At this moment, officials have released that 2 construction workers have been rescued and there is an ongoing search for at least 6 others. Baltimore Fire Chief, James Wallace, announced that one of the rescued was in good condition and the other was seriously injured and was taken to the hospital.

It has been unclear how many cars may have been on the bridge as traffic was attempted to be stopped after the mayday call was made from the cargo vessel. Maryland Governor, Wes Moore, stated during the conference that this decision to stop traffic “saved lives.”

This tragedy will have lasting effects as it is projected that 35.000 people commute using this bridge and it is unclear how long rebuilding will take. President Joe Biden stated during his public address Tuesday that it is his “intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstruction” of the bridge. He also stated, “We’re not leaving until this job gets done.”