Skating has never been so fun, try Oly on Ice

ThurstonTalk
People enjoying their time on the ice this winter season after it’s freshly resurfaced.

Oly on Ice has been an annual ice-skating tradition in downtown Olympia for the last five years. It sets up shop in between Capitol Lake and the West Bay when the weather gets cold and hot cocoa becomes a human right. 

Oly on Ice is “very fun and festive,” according to Lilah DeBoer. DeBoer is a student at OHS and has gone to Oly on Ice on multiple occasions. DeBoer explains that she hasn’t been to other rinks before but she still feels like it’s a very nice place to go. 

“I usually only go for about an hour until my feet hurt,” DeBoer explains. When a ticket is purchased at Oly on Ice it includes skates for a slotted amount of time of 75 minutes. Typically people will not skate for the full 75 minutes, but still enjoy sitting down and chatting with friends and even grabbing a bite to eat. 

Kyleena Rauser, on the other hand, says that “[She’s] been to the ice skating rink in Kent once or twice… a couple of times last year and then once last week.” She plans to go again when her friends get back from college. Rauser explains that she’s not an experienced ice skater. “I’m actually not graceful at all or very good at it.” While ice skating can be tricky to master, it’s still a blast regardless of experience. 

According to Oly on Ice’s FAQs, “[it] can be especially busy on weekends and during winter break for local schools” (Oly on Ice). There are no age restrictions but they do require that ages 12 and under need to be accompanied by an adult. They have occasional food vendors on site for guests to indulge in. Just last weekend they were accompanied by local ice cream shop SweetLee’s

As you might expect, to ensure the ice stays frozen, it means it’s also cold under the tent! Please be sure to dress in layers so you’ll stay nice and warm, whether skating or just watching,” Oly on Ice informs guests. Skating is not a must but being in the atmosphere can be just as fun.

Oly on Ice is a great way to start up this season’s winter spirit. Young or old alike can enjoy spending time at this fantastic winter-ful place. Dress warm, rent some skates, and bring some friends for an amazing time!