Senior feature: Jasper Blake

8 Views

OlyWay Principal Editor, Yearbook Staff Member, and Student Photographer are just a few of Jasper Blake’s titles at Olympia High School. However, his main expertise is making the OlyWay Show. Last year, it took him nearly thirty hours to edit an OlyWay episode! He recalled: “It was all me. After we filmed, I would edit it, assemble it, and return the next day.” Thankfully, tasks are divided more evenly now. “Editing doesn’t take too long anymore… maybe four or five hours,” he explained.

Blake is also interested in technology. After taking inspiration from technology creator Marques Brownlee, he thought, “Why can’t I do the same?” Soon, he started his YouTube channel, Tech Device News. He wrote scripts and recorded voice-overs for technology videos. What “started as a random project” transformed into a production amassing over 375,000 views. 

Although he’s heading to the University of Oregon to study Business Administration, Blake doesn’t plan to quit video editing. He elaborated, “My goal is to use videos to tell others’ stories and ideas. Videos are a fun, easy medium for me to express those.” In the future, he hopes to “introduce videos into [his] job and explain different genres or eras of technology.”