Review: local boba shops

Within the past forty years, this drink topping has risen from humble Taiwanese origins to become a worldwide phenomenon. Boba, also known as bubble tea, started gaining popularity in the 1990s. 

It started in the 1980s when Taiwanese drink shop owners added it to their menus. While the exact shop of origin is unknown, its widespread popularity is undeniable. Here are just a few reviews of boba shops found locally or in Seattle! Reviews are based on overall taste, boba quality, authenticity, and personal opinion).

• Ding Tea (Lacey)– 9/10
    • The Lychee Yakult with boba (70% sugar, no ice) and the Wintermelon Milk Tea with boba (70%, no ice) were both amazing. The boba was chewy and had great elasticity. The shop chain originates from Taiwan and is found locally attached to a pho shop! Be aware that reducing sugar levels can decrease the intensity of flavor (this applies to most places). 
    • According to the manager of the store, Wintermelon is her favorite! Customer-wise, taro and the monster latte are quite popular. The most popular drink is the monster boba latte (brown sugar!)
  • Kung Fu Tea (South Center Mall)–6/10
    • A pretty influential boba shop, however, the one in South Center Mall did not live up to the hype.
  • Coco (South Center Mall)– 7/10
    • The stores in Taiwan are better. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t outstanding. 
  • Braganza (Capital Mall)–6/10
    • Boba isn’t bad (nice and soft) and has plenty of topping variety, but the flavors are not as Taiwanese authentic since the franchise originates from Portugal. Not as large a flavor variety as other shops.

• Happy Lemon (Olympia)–8/10
    • A bit on the pricier side, but they also offer egg waffles (and there’s a pho store attached).

• YiFang (Federal Way)–9/10
    • Their unique signature fruit teas feature seasonal fresh fruits in their drinks. Their shops are also incredibly aesthetic!

• ShareTea (Seattle)– 9/10
    • Another Taiwanese bubble tea chain! There are quite a few shops open in Washington, and their drinks are pretty good. There is also quite a variety of drink flavors.

• MACU (Seattle)–7/10
    • The Snoopy collab is very cute!
    • Don’t make the mistake of drinking their milk tea right before going to bed… the caffeine is a bit too strong.
    • Boba was pretty good though!
  • Sol Boba (Lakewood)–9.5/10
    • Izayah is a pretty big boba enthusiast with plenty of experience, and although he hasn’t gone in a while, he recalls that the boba is “pretty good.”
    • Sophia Park rates Sol Boba a 10/10 because she loves the boba! She typically gets black milk tea or barley milk tea.

• Meet Fresh (South Center Mall)–10/10
    • Known for its amazing shaved ice, their boba is also incredibly good! They offer many traditional Taiwanese desserts and more unique toppings/drinks/flavors that can’t be found in other stores, including pudding, grass jelly, and taro balls.
  • Tiger Sugar (Seattle)– 10/10 
    • One time Zach Song ran three miles in Seattle to get tiger sugar boba. “It is the best boba I’ve ever had,” he commented.