Outstanding start for Boys Swim: dominating wins in first two meets

Steve Su, Kasey Gridley, and Jack Fuller stand behind lane five as Scott Hermann finishes the 400 Freestyle Relay against Rogers High School.

OHS Boys Swim Team has kicked off their season with a splash, securing victories in their first two meets against South Kitsap and Puyallup. They look forward to continuing their winning streak far into the season.

In their meet against South Kitsap, the OHS boys ruled the water and clinched wins in two out of three relays and an impressive six out of eight individual events. Junior standout Garrett Wickoren showcased exceptional skills, contributing significantly to the team’s success.

Wickoren “felt good about [his] performance,” specifically in the 100-yard Backstroke, achieving a district qualifying time and personal best for the season. Junior Jonah Song articulated that he “felt that [they] raced well as a team, and [they] were all very supportive of each other.” 

The team carried their momentum into the second meet against Puyallup, where the boys once again displayed their dominance in the pool. Similar to the last meet, the team secured wins in two out of three relays and five out of eight individual events.  

Standout athlete of this meet was Scott Hermann who left an impressive impression by winning all four of his events. These events included the 200-yard Freestyle, the 100-yard Freestyle, the 200-yard Freestyle Relay, and the 400-yard Freestyle Relay, showcasing not only his individual talent but also his important role in the team’s success. 

The OHS Boys Swim Team’s start to the season is a testament to their hard work, skill, and team spirit. With convincing wins in their first two meets, the team, led by top performers like Garrett Wickoren and Scott Hermann, is ready for a promising season ahead. As they continue to make waves in the pool, it will be clear that the OHS Boys Swim Team is a force to be reckoned with.