Inside the game of football at OHS

Olympia vs. South Kitsap at Ingersoll Stadium during the 2023 football season.
Sami Potvin

Every day, the OHS football team works hard to represent OHS and its standards for student-athletes. Leading the team is Coach Nick Mullen, whose unique coaching style and personal journey have significantly shaped the team’s dynamic and players’ athletic and personal success.

Coach Mullen emphasizes that the team dynamic is built on mutual respect and the collective pursuit of excellence. “What I say to kids is that football is important to me. It doesn’t have to be to you, you just have to respect my dedication and see where I am coming from,“ stated Mullen. He then further explained the impact that team culture and mutual trust have had on the program in recent years.

Mullen’s philosophy on coaching goes beyond the playbook. He argues that while wins are important, the team’s core values of trust and determination to keep improving are ultimately what creates greatness. “The worst thing that can happen when you play a game is you lose,“ asserted Mullen, speaking on the idea that members of the program are worth more than the game itself. He believes in pushing his athletes to succeed while ensuring they have the support they need to grow both on and off the field. 

When asked about the mentality he shares with his players, Coach Mullen explained, “We live by the mantra, ‘Can’t talk about it, gotta be about it.’ If you say you’re going to do it, then do it.” He also shared that he encourages players to win every moment that they face, whether they are on the field or dealing with life outside of athletics.

Coach Mullen also emphasized the importance of balancing family alongside his coaching and teaching commitments. “My life is dedicated to my teaching, coaching, and family,” he shared. He then remarked that the transition to OHS was seamless and that he was able to put his family first. “It was the only job I would have left Timberline for.”