Olympia Baseball: the spring season sprint

Trace Pruitt at the plate in a preseason game against Tumwater High School. Photo courtesy of Jaclynn Parker.

As the baseball season unfolds, the Olympia Bears continue to make waves with a strong record of 11-6. Behind the notable improvements since the start of the season are a series of games where the team has proven they can continue to dominate in the SPSL, such as recent victories over Emerald Ridge and Curtis High School.

After some tough losses at the beginning of the season, the Bears didn’t initially seem to be on the road to success. However, the team continued to strive for greatness and has been working towards some goals they have set for themselves going later into the season. Head Coach Derek Weldon states, “I believe our best baseball is in front of us. I see guys continuing to get better in the roles they’re in,” alluding to the team’s progression throughout the season.

Kyle Andrews has proven to be a significant contributor to the team’s success. “I want to do the most for the team with the opportunities that I’m provided,” shared Andrews when asked about his goals for the season. His offensive skill has been a major part of the Bears’ success.

Coach Weldon mentions many other key players such as Lincoln Berg, Cameron Costello, and Jack Skelly, to name a few. Junior pitcher Trace Pruitt, for example, has proven to be a strong asset to the team as they face competitive hitters within the league.

As the spring season progresses, the Bears are gearing up for the postseason. The team is focusing on smarter base running and offensive philosophies, as well as simulating game-like situations. These are critical areas that Coach Weldon believes can lead the team into the playoffs.

In a season that began with doubts, Olympia is setting a new pace. Be sure to come watch the Bears compete in their next home game against Rogers High School on April 23!