Are you ready, kids? SpongeBob: The Musical is coming soon

Fun, silliness, sea creatures, quality music, and acting. If you enjoy any of these things, the SpongeBob Musical, put on by the Olympia High School Theatre Arts Department, is a must-see. Many seniors will be in this production, so it is important to come and support them because this will be the last production of the 2023-2024 school year. But it’s not all sad, because the musical will surely put a smile on the face of anyone in attendance.

An interview with Production Director, Dallas Meyers, gave insight into the play. As to why people should attend the musical, Meyers replied, “It’s incredibly funny. It’s like escapism, where you just get to go into Bikini Bottom for two and a half hours and forget everything else that’s going on.’’ He also explained that the play includes real-world issues, such as judgment, inclusivity, and “the blame game.” However, it mainly focuses on the idea of friendship.

Meyers also shared what he believes makes the production special: “To be honest, I think it’s the first musical that I’ve done that is just pure whimsy… so I think a lot of people are going to come for the SpongeBob characters. And they’re going to leave entertained, and maybe learn something.”

Promotional poster for OHS’ upcoming SpongeBob Play. Poster courtesy of OHS Theater.

He also explained that the SpongeBob musical on Broadway was completely immersive, with the stage going out into the audience and the set going throughout the theater. Some of these elements will also be included in the OHS version, such as the set going past the stage and into the audience, creating an interesting environment. Meyers chose SpongeBob to be the last play of the year because it has a much lighter atmosphere than the previous two productions, which were laced with darker undertones.

“I think this play is really about the power of friendship and the idea that you can be more than what everybody thinks you should be,” Meyers reflected. He also detailed how Sandy experiences prejudice in the show because she is a land mammal living in the sea. He then elaborated that the cast is filled with amazing, talented students.

Zi O’Donnell, a junior who plays Old Man Jenkins, also gave great details about the play. They stated, “It’s a really fun musical. It’s really for everybody, even if you haven’t seen the cartoon.”

They also think that it is unique because of the fact there are a lot of new actors and technicians. “The cast has done so much work so far, and the crew is just getting started. It’s gonna be a really fun show with a lot of really cool things,” they emphasized. 

O’Donnell believes that it was chosen to be the last production of the year because “of how big of an ensemble it has. You can cast anybody in any role, so it’s really open for diversity. And it’s just a lot of fun, there’s a lot of comedy in it, and it’s just a silly show.” 

If you’re looking for a fun activity and a riveting experience, show up on any of these dates, all at 7 pm: May 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, then come to Olympia High School and support the students. Tickets cost $10 for students, $12 for the general public, $10 for seniors (ages 65 and up), and $8 for children (ages 1-10). Again, please consider coming to the play, to lift your spirits, and have a good laugh.

View Comments (2)