The history of Homecoming

OHS Facebook
OHS Homecoming royalty pose at the assembly a day before the dance.

Homecoming has been a staple of the high school experience since 1911. It’s changed many times to flow along with modern culture and OHS is no exception to this traditional housewarming party.

Homecoming began as a tradition at many Midwestern and Southern colleges such as Baylor, Southwestern and Illinois. It was a time to bring back alumni and celebrate their success, so the name Homecoming was created. Nowadays, Homecoming is known for various things: A dance, football game, and the Homecoming court, the iconic parts of the experience.

Homecoming may be different for everybody, but freshman court queen Anna Hamilton said “Homecoming to me is a nice place where you can hang out with your friends.” Her favorite part of Homecoming was the dance.

Dancing has become a  common sight at many modern Homecomings. Schools now regularly employ DJs as opposed to what happened at Iowa State University with Les Elgart, who played big band music.

Others prefer the big game. Sophomore court king, Lucas Dyvig, stated, “My favorite thing about Homecoming games are the halftime show and the corvettes.” Modern Homecoming football has become custom, in the same way that Homecoming began as a tradition of alumni returning home.

Dyvig and Hamilton are both court royalty, another aspect of the celebration. The court started in the 1930s and seniors who were role models for schools were elected for homecoming court. But like everything else mentioned, it’s shifted. For example, OHS now votes students from every grade no matter their gender. 

Although Homecoming is an age-old tradition, many old and new concepts are being celebrated every year. It’s a time meant to welcome the new class and remember the old.