Senior Night: OHS Boys Soccer beats Graham Kapowsin 3-2

The+players+join+together+in+a+spirited+huddle+just+before+kickoff.+Photo+courtesy+of+Izayah+Qiu.+
The players join together in a spirited huddle just before kickoff. Photo courtesy of Izayah Qiu.

On Monday, the Boys Varsity Soccer team faced a challenging match against Graham Kapowsin, ultimately securing a hard-fought 3-2 victory. It was an exciting match, with Graham Kapowsin getting on the scoreboard first off of a penalty kick. Senior Calvin Boyal responded with a goal of his own, also from a penalty kick, equalizing the score to 1-1 by halftime.

The Bears displayed determination in the second half, initially scoring a goal that was unfortunately disallowed due to an offside call. Graham Kapowsin then gained the upper hand, scoring 5 minutes into the half and making it 1-2. However, the team’s perseverance paid off as Max Whitaker finally found the net, once again leveling the score to 2-2 after many close misses.

The intensity grew as both sides fought relentlessly throughout the second half, but the Bears ultimately emerged victorious. With 8 minutes left, Luke Phillips sealed the game with a goal, a powerful strike to the bottom right corner. The crowd erupted with energy, filling the air with cheers and shouts of celebration. 

This was a special night for the seniors (Jackson Keller, Calvin Boyal, Bikendi Bell’Allende, Vinicius Barcellos, Micah Wilhem, and Ben Scott), marking a celebration for their years in the program and at OHS. While they won’t be here next year, they have brought lots of joy and created lasting memories with many players.