Bridging communities through old school fiddling: Oly Old-Time Festival

Aricin Clausen
Hot food, cold drinks, and old tunes. That’s the spirit of the Oly Old Time festival.

2024 marks the 14th year of the Oly Old Time Festival, Olympia’s oral tradition of folk and local music. Beginners and masters are welcome to the various concerts and workshops to create music as one. 

The festival focuses on a celebration of traditional Appalachian music that has been passed down through word of mouth for generations. “The music we make is a living tradition, where years later, people and kids are still playing it,” explains River Scheurell, long-time performer, participant, and newfound board member for the festival. Oral traditions are the outlet through which music is kept alive and people are brought together.

Finding places to belong can be a difficult task, but the festival makes this simple. Oly Old Time uses music and dance as a catalyst to connect and bridge gaps between all sorts of people. Emily Teachout, co-founder of the festival, remembers “nights when the music has just gone on into the wee hours where these master musicians are playing with middle schoolers, their parents, and all levels of players. Just jamming all night long.”

The beating heart of Oly Old Time is the open and supportive community through which American traditions can connect to those who need it the most. “People are teaching the tunes and the dances and making those as accessible as possible for everybody. Our values are centered around being inclusive and welcoming and keeping alive a tradition of music and dance that is uniquely American,” continues Teachout.

One of the most enticing parts of the festival is the workshops. They’re a space where anyone wanting to learn about traditional practices from the cajun two-step to traditional fiddle playing, can. Kirchi Tinera, a young musician learning through the workshops loves that “[she] get[s] to meet new people, learn new songs, and really just grow as a musician.”

A grant from the city lets the festival bring musicians from all over the country to perform and teach music that not only expresses culture but also expands upon the diversity of the community. Teachout noted, “We have our featured performers, those are people who embody the best of the traditional music and dance genre. We try to always reflect some diversity with young up-and-coming performers in the tradition, women and people with varying genders, and people who know the tradition well who teach it in a welcome and accessible way.”

The Oly Old Time Festival works to keep its events as affordable as possible. Anyone can participate. A ticket cost of only $40 for the weekend’s events and volunteer staff keep costs low. Keep an eye out for this musical extravaganza next year.