The one where Matthew Perry left us too soon

BBC News
Matthew Perry dies at 54 in his LA home after a speculated heart attack following a drowning in his own hot tub.

On October 28th, 2023, beloved actor Matthew Perry passed away in his home. Perry was a part of many movies and television productions but is most well known for his sarcastic humor as Chandler Bing in F.r.i.e.n.d.s

Perry expressed in an interview from 2022 that when he dies he wants to be remembered “as somebody who lived well, loved well, [and] was a seeker” (Time Magazine). He wanted to help people. He said he wanted to be the person that you come to for help and actually follows through with his promise. “When I die, I’d like friends to be listed behind helping people” (Time Magazine). 

F.r.i.e.n.d.s is a 90’s sitcom that follows the friendship of an unlike bunch as they have quarrels and fall in love over the span of 10 years. Through trials and tribulations, the show was a hit across generations. Millennials and gen z were particularly enthralled by Perry’s character.

Emmie Gilday, ASB treasurer and OHS student, expresses how much Matthew Perry had an effect on her. “The thing that stood out to me the most is he had a very big heart and he was very sweet. His character on F.r.i.e.n.d.s, I really looked up to him comedically because I think with how he dealt with things and his sarcasm can sometimes be a good outlook on life.” 

Gilday explains that watching the show now is bittersweet. “F.r.i.e.n.d.s has been my favorite show, so it’s weird going back and watching and knowing that it’s just a little bit different now. [Perry] left such an impact and I know he has affected people in a very positive way.” 

Whether someone is an avid TV watcher or not, hearing about Perry’s death has filled the atmosphere with sorrow for Perry’s family and friends. He will dearly be missed by the millions of people he had such a great influence on. “Was I an avid F.r.i.e.n.d.s watcher where I could quote lines from the show? No. But am I upset about Matthew Perry’s death? Yes.” Expressed Stacy Udo, OHS librarian. 

Thinking about the impact that Perry left on people, his legacy should be for helping people in their darkest moments. While he will fondly be remembered for Chandler Bing and his zippy one liners, he has done so much more for the community surrounding him.