Barbie movie review

photo+curtesy+to+Buzzfeed+
photo curtesy to Buzzfeed

In the seemingly perfect world where Barbie lives, problems start to arise. Barbie (2023) explores themes of self discovery and existential crisis. Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken work together to go on a journey to the real world. After arriving in the real world, they find that it’s nothing like Barbie Land. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. 

Instead of being a place where women have equal opportunities and hold great positions of power, the real world is  dominated by men. Barbie is not overly fond of this, rather bewildered by what is going on.

Not only does Barbie have to save herself from the impending thoughts of doom and cellulite, she also has to save Barbie Land from the patriarchy that Ken brought back. All the men from Barbie Land want greater power and are willing to fight for that and change Barbie Land as a whole. 

Barbie is whimsical and empowering for every woman out there. The movie confronts Mattel, the company that owns Barbie, for causing many insecurities in women since the doll was created. 

This movie is great for any person of any age. It does a wonderful job capturing major issues and displaying them in a way that says “We need to change.” Director Greta Gerwig does an amazing job combining complex themes and portraying the essence of womanhood. With an 88% on rotten tomatoes, this movie is a must watch. So, get together a group of friends and get the popcorn ready because you’re all going to love it.

View Comments (1)