Spike of success: Olympia Volleyball places third at State

OHS Volleyball earning the title of District Champions and making it to the first seed going into State. Photo courtesy of Stephanie Norton

In a highly anticipated bout of success, the OHS Volleyball team took third place at the State tournament and marked their third consecutive year competing at State.

The team won their berth to state after their win against Camas High School at Districts. They battled through the state tournament, defeating Skyline High School in three sets and Puyallup High School in five.

As a result, the girls earned a spot in the semi-finals, where they played North Creek for a chance to compete in the final championship game. In a nail-biting five sets, Olympia lost to North Creek and took third in the tournament.

The Bears have had a successful season, going undefeated in conference and 23-7 overall. Under the leadership of Head Coach Christie Oldright, winner of the 2023 South Puget Sound League Coach of the Year award, the team has navigated tough competition and earned their third-place title.

Oldright stated that the title is well deserved. “I couldn’t be more proud of the entire team. They had an incredible fight mentality. They never gave up no matter the score, and their ability to battle back served them at State,” said Oldright.

The team’s senior class, including Hannah Byers, Kate Herrick, Ava Hoy, Alyssa Feldhausen, Mimi Ceesay, and Susannah Barnett, have emerged as the driving force behind the team’s success. Their leadership has helped build the program over the last four years, encouraging the teamwork and cohesion necessary for the team’s success.

Herrick, who came back this season after her ACL injury last year, was named SPSL South All-League First Team, and was a “consistent leader throughout the season,” according to Oldright.

Leading the team offensively along with Barnett was Hannah Byers. Byers commented on the satisfaction from going so far in the tournament: “It was really cool to see all of the hard work pay off.” She attributed the team’s success to their ability to work together and their trust in each other.

The team now celebrates their joint successes and numerous awards earned from their showing of individual talent throughout the season, as seven athletes on the team were titled with SPSL South All-League teams.

Although the program is saying goodbye to six seniors this year, the team has many up-and-coming leaders to fill their spots and continue to grow the OHS Volleyball program.

Grace Holstrom, a junior on the team and previous co-captain, states that she plans to continue her leadership on the team next year and aims to “be a culture keeper, have a big voice and presence, and lead positively.”

Volleyball’s run at state was an exciting event for the Olympia community and a great representation of the many dedicated student-athletes at OHS.