Climate change vs. Washington

Climate Action Club making posters during their Bear Time B meeting. Courtesy of @ohsclimateaction on Instagram

Imagine Mount Rainier with no snow. The image may sound unrealistic, but it could happen eventually because of climate change.

Washington has been experiencing the effects of climate change for the past three years. 

Consequently, people have been dreading summers because of how much hotter the weather is getting. In past summers, temperatures have ranged from 75 to 85 degrees. However, citizens experienced close to 100 degree weather this year. 

Co-President of Climate Action Club Zachary Song stated, “When the earth warms, due to human consequences such as driving, the animals [in] Antarctica or the bears in the arctic [who] rely on cold temperatures and on ice caps face [habitat destruction].”

Additionally, the Climate Action Club has a program where they visit elementary schools and educate kids about climate change. 

Co-President of Climate Action Club Christine Zhang explained, “We do pretty small initiatives in awareness and education because awareness is one of the biggest steps towards combating climate change.”

The Climate Action Club is also planning to start a carpool day in November where they encourage everyone at Olympia High School to carpool.

Washington’s severe global warming shows the importance of climate action and how everyone needs to take action towards events impacting the earth negatively.

Taking opportunities to stop climate change can affect the world positively and can stop future events such as extreme heat and melting temperatures from happening.