Olympia in October

In+the+suburbs+of+Olympia%2C+people+go+all+out+with+their+decorations.+
Oliver Reiman
In the suburbs of Olympia, people go all out with their decorations.

Nationwide, Halloween is known for the pumpkin patch, pumpkin carving, haunted houses, corn mazes, and of course trick-or-treating. Olympia, however, has its own traditions and treats to celebrate the day of spirits and sweets.

Trick-or-treating is a classic Halloween tradition. Cooper Barna, a Sophomore at Olympia High School, describes trick-or-treating as “a great activity with family and friends,” and “an essential part of a kid’s childhood.” Barna usually spends his Halloween trick-or-treating with friends, but in recent years, he has grown out of this tradition. Although trick-or-treating is for people of any age, Barna says, “Once you’ve passed middle school trick-or-treating loses its fun and it becomes boring.”

Throughout October, Olympia springs to life with decorations. The suburbs have intricate displays, and downtown shops put up Halloween-themed decor inside and outside of their buildings. Some shops may even offer free candy for those who pass by. Local venues at The Mortuary or Le Voyeur also put on a seasonal theme with shows popping up every week.

Moving away from the city, the Rutledge Corn Maze draws in more than 20,000 visitors annually from September 21st to October 31st. Activities include a haunted corn maze, a massive pumpkin patch, a paintball gallery, and numerous other exciting experiences. 

The Rutledge Corn Maze has been passed down for three generations, and is currently owned by Robby Rutledge. Rutledge said, “It’s great to be part of such a big tradition and to be able to bring smiles to so many families.” Even though he owns such a popular corn maze, “ most people assume my favorite holiday is Halloween, but to most people’s surprise it’s actually Christmas,” stated Rutledge.

This fall brought very little rain, which hurt crops in the area.“Even though we were not able to grow as much corn as we would have hoped this year, we still have a large pumpkin patch and a sunflower field,” Commented Rutledge. 

In Olympia, Halloween’s unique charm can be found in the city’s decorations, downtown,  the Rutledge Corn Maze, and the beloved memories of trick or treating. All of these elements make Olympia a wonderful place to celebrate this spooky season.