Olympia Soccer clinches a victory against the Bellarmine Lions

Scott Hermann
AJ Engelken pursues the soccer ball during a triumphant game against Bellarmine High School.

The Olympia girl’s soccer team secured a 2-0 shutout win against Bellarmine Prep High School last Thursday night. The Bears started the game off hot with aggressive offense, scoring early in the first half. Olympia midfielder, AJ Engelken, scored the first goal of the game only 20 minutes in and put the Bears in position to dominate the rest of the half. Engelken described the team’s winning strategy and the significance of scoring early on in a match, stating “We love scoring goals in the first five minutes and trying to put all of our energy into that. Being able to maintain that and focusing on that for the rest of the game is the main goal.’’

Olympia played a strong defensive match by keeping the ball out of their zone and allowing for multiple shots on goal by the Bears’ offense. The Bears demonstrated their expert teamwork and ability to control the game’s momentum. Engelken recounted how the team was able to keep the energy high throughout the match: “It’s the best. It’s the most therapeutic way of releasing your own bag of negative energy and also encouraging other people.” 

The Bears continued to put pressure on the Lions’ defense throughout the match, scoring the second and final goal of the game on a penalty kick by Jenna Rigg, with only 10 minutes left in the second half. Rigg’s goal guaranteed the shutout win for the Bears, and the team closed out the game with energy and excitement felt from the stands.

The team intends to continue their winning streak when they face Bethel High School this upcoming Thursday, and  look forward to working towards their season goals. AJ Engelken statesdthat “Being able to stay encouraging and in the game during tough competition” is the team’s main goal for the future.

Be sure to come out and support your Olympia Bears at their next match this Thursday!