Girls Swim makes a splash in SPSL with 5-1 record

The+girls+do+their+traditional+%E2%80%9Cgutter+cheer%E2%80%9D+before+the+meet+
Scott Hermann
The girls do their traditional “gutter cheer” before the meet

The OHS Girls Swim Team has had an amazing start to their season and currently boasts a 5-1 record. They also took the third place trophy at the annual Autumn Relay Meet. In the first half of their season, the team’s relays have dominated and multiple girls have qualified for postseason meets already. The team also has junior diver Indiana Coppin who has been crucial in adding points to the team’s tally.

Junior captain, Clara Randall, is the Bears first swimmer in the water for nearly every meet. She starts the meet off as the team’s backstroker in the 200 Yard Medley Relay. She expressed that she has “mixed feelings about starting the medley relay off… it’s always stressful to be the first person in the first event of the meet, but the energy is high and it’s great when you can finish strong.”

Swimming is an interesting sport that is individual and team based at the same time. For example, when Clara jumps in the water for the Medley Relay, she is swimming for herself and the three other people in her relay. One of Clara’s goals this season is to “help the medley relay qualify for state,” and they are on their way. Clara also already has qualified to swim at the League Meet in five events and has qualified to swim the 100 backstroke at the District Meet.

There are two more weeks of dual meet swimming for the Bears before they head into the postseason. They will then have their League, District, and finally State Championships hosted at the Weyerhaeuser Aquatic Center in Seattle.

Good luck Bears on the rest of your season!