The road to the Dome

Girls Basketball starts season off strong
Claudia Wilson
The girls huddle to prepare for the start of their game against the North Thurston Rams.

The Olympia Bears Girls Basketball team is off to a great start, winning their first two league matchups against the South Kitsap Wolves and the Puyallup Vikings.

The girls are hoping to punch their ticket to the State Championships and return for the third straight year to the Tacoma Dome. 

Head Coach Dustin Workman hopes that this season, the girls can “grow as a team and as teammates, both on and off the court.”

Workman noted that the Bears have two returning players who were named All-League players last year: Lauren Wolin and Lauren Juergens, and he “has high expectations for them as leaders for [the Bears].”

Freshman Sawyer Schaff gets her first Varsity start as an Olympia Bear. (Stephanie Norton)

Alongside those returning starters are freshmen Brooke Juergens and Sawyer Schaff who Workman believes “have a lot of basketball talent and potential,” and he is very “excited to see what they can bring to the team

Schaff, who is new to the Olympia School District this year, is thankful for the community the Basketball team has brought.

She explained that putting on the Olympia jersey for the first time “gave [her] a fresh start,” and she has enjoyed “getting to know the girls and playing with them.” It is evident that Schaff will have a huge impact on the court this year and the next three years to come. 

The Bears hope to rebound from a close loss over the weekend to Kentridge High School this week with a game against the Rogers Rams and a home game against the Graham-Kapowsin Eagles.

Good luck and GO BEARS!